Shasta Public Libraries Presents 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Simple concept, priceless rewards.
Read books to your child (ages newborn to Pre-K).
The goal is to read 1000 books before your child starts kindergarten.
ANY book read to your child counts! This means books read in any language by anyone – including at pre-school, during library story times, and books on cd. Repeats of favorite books can be counted as well!
How long does it take?
This is a self-paced program. It can take a few months, or a few years. If you read one book a day, the program will take less than 3 years.
- Visit the library (Redding, Burney or Anderson) to get signed up and receive an informational packet and the first book log.
- Read any book to your child.
- Color in a book icon each time a book is read until the log is complete.
- Bring in your completed book log and your child will receive a bookmark and the next book log.
- After completing 10 logs (1000 books), your child gets to choose a book to keep.