Shasta Public Libraries thankfully receives many donated items from generous supporters. Materials received are sorted and evaluated for placement on Redding, Anderson, and Burney shelves. Those not needed in the Libraries’ collections are turned over to the Friends of Shasta County Libraries (FOSCL), Friends of the Intermountain Library (FOIL), and the Shasta Library Foundation where they may be sold in the FOSC or FOIL bookstore or online. Surplus titles may be sold at Redding Library’s bimonthly on-site patio book sales. All proceeds go directly to the Friends for the purchase of new books and materials and library programming. Surplus titles are also donated to support Little Free Libraries in Shasta County.
If you have gently used books and materials to donate, here are some things you should know:
- All items must be clean and in good condition.
- Books that have been wet, moldy, or soiled, and/or stored away for long periods of time cannot be accepted.
- Books without covers or with torn pages or marked with pen/pencil/crayon cannot be accepted.
- Books from smoking households cannot be accepted.
- Books that have insect or mouse damage cannot be accepted
- Encyclopedias cannot be accepted.
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books cannot be accepted.
- Audiobooks on CDs, DVDs, and music CDs are gladly accepted, but record albums and video cassettes cannot be accepted.
- Books on the following subjects can only be accepted if published in the last 5 years:
- Medical books
- Diet books
- Law books
- Real Estate
- Computer books
- Please pack your items in heavy paper sacks or sturdy plastic bags. Boxes are unnecessary (and harder to lift).
FOSCL Bookstore, Redding: (530) 245-7265
Anderson Library: (530) 365-7685
Burney Library (FOIL): (530) 335-4317